Monday, June 13, 2011

Something's Gotta Give

So...this post is later than I would like it to be...as a matter of fact, I would love to post here almost every other day, but alas I have too many things competing for my time. That being said, I decided that something had to give in order for me to actually get a post up....this week it was my weekly knitting group.

I am taking a mid-term this week, and my husband is having surgery on Wednesday so things are a little busy. Enough about the stresses of this week, lets talk about the joys of last week :)

I did not start & complete an entire craft project last week. Rather I completed one relatively major one and started a really major new one.

So for the successes - I completed knitting my first pair of socks...finally. I had started these in January and had set them aside while knitting my first sweater & my first shawl. Once I completed those projects I picked my sock back up and got it done.


The other thing I have been working on is my costume for Costume College. I told you a tiny bit...really just that I was exited about it...earlier...but I haven't mentioned anything in detail about it.

So Costume College is a week-end long conference that teaches several classes related to the art of costuming. There are basic sewing classes, fitting classes, organizing classes as well as armor making and costuming theory & fabrics. I stumbled upon the class list and it was amazing. I was enrolling late so I couldn't get access to any of the limited classes, but there were so many interesting classes that I found that I would have more than a full day each of the 3 days and I am slightly grateful that my choice wasn't that much harder.

On the Saturday night of Costume College there is an event called the Time Traveler's Gala where costumer's go to show off their hard work. I really want to attend this event...so I need to have a costume. I don't have anything pre-prepared for an event like this, so I was going to have to come up with something new.

Right now at least...I am a Star Wars costumer...it may be, and it likely will be, that I will branch out in the future, however for now I am sticking to costumes from the Star Wars movies. That being said...I looked at the costumes available from Star Wars and evaluated the time I had to complete one before Costume College...and decided on "the Corset Costume" I have to give super credit to the website The Padawan's Guide. There is SO much information on that site. The picture below is a reference photo from that site.

I already have a corset and I thought this would be easiest to construct. I should mention that I have a tendency to be obsessive compulsive about making things movie accurate. Which this first draft of this costume will not be perfect, but it will be pretty close.

I primarily felt that getting the shape of the costume was the most important. So being sure the skirt was structured appropriately was top on the list. I got a pattern from Etsy.com for a Gothic costume and modified the skirt. The skirt in the pattern is lovely, but has a lot of ease and is not nearly as fitted as the costume skirt.

I cut a muslin of the skirt exactly as the pattern said, and sewed the darts and main seams, and then tried it on. It was rather large as I expected, so I attempted to pin the back of the skirt closer...and then stitched the seam...tried it on...stitched it closer.. until I got it relatively right.

I took the muslin and used it to alter the pattern pieces for the lining of the skirt, which I was using basic Costume Satin for. Currently I have the darts sewn on the satin and the two back pieces sewn together and the seam pressed. I am planning to sew together the pieces and repeat the process with the lace overlay.



After I have completed that I will finish the waist band and the zipper and then get started on the other aspects of the costume.

My main pieces are:
skirt
corset cover
fingerless opera gloves
hair
headband/crown

not too bad....but enough to keep me busy. :)

Here is a shot of my fabrics - Starting top-left (and continuing clockwise) is the velvet for the collar, pleather for the corset cover and opera gloves, the costume satin for lining and the lace for the skirt overlay.



Ok...I think I have to go to bed for now...there is so much ahead of me... I hope you have a fabulous crafty week. I will try to post more frequently to be sure I am keeping up.

No comments:

Post a Comment