Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Halloween Costumes: General Grevious and Boba Fett

Well, I would say that some follow-up is in order. First off... General Grevious!

I did in fact complete the General Grevious costume in 2013, and he LOVED it! So much so, that he wanted to wear it again for Halloween 2014. I tried to convince him he should pick something else, but no avail... so for 2014, I made some repairs to the costume and re-worked how I had the 2nd set of arms attached and he was even happier the second go round. 

Here are a few shots of the work along the way. 


Partial deconstruction and reconstruction of the 2013 costume. This kid plays hard in his costumes, so a lot of it had fallen apart by the end of the first Halloween. 

Rib cage added to the shirt. :) 


This is the cloak. I painted the symbol on the back with a slightly shiny silvery paint originally, and The Small Mister thought it was too subtle, so for 2014 we (and when I say we, I mean me) painted over it with a darker charcoal color. He was happy.



He tried to tell me that he wanted to be Grevious for 2015 as well, but I told him I was glad he liked his costume so much, but he needed to pick someone new. Truth be told, if I did do this costume again, I think there would have been even more improvements to it, but frankly I am tired of working on this same one. I want to do something new!  

Pick someone new he did... 2015's costume of choice was Boba Fett. This kid! Picks the hardest costumes to create and has total faith that I will figure it out and get it done. Makes me feel good... except for the daunting task that lie before me part. 

If you are unfamiliar with Boba Fett... I found this image of the costume from the 501st costume reference gallery.



Whenever I am faced with a StarWars costume, I turn to either the 501st or the Rebel Legion costuming guilds. They have excellent costume references and their standards fit right in with my must-be-movie-accurate compulsion. For The Small Mister's costumes, I don't worry about movie accuracy. 

It happened to be that at the time The Small Mister decided he wanted to be Boba Fett, the Star Wars and the Power of Costume exhibit was at the Experience Music Project in Seattle. So we hurried ourselves up there to take a look for ourselves! 


 

After that there wasn't much left to do besides get started on it! I purchased a pattern for a race car driver jumpsuit, and made it out of a bed sheet that was a light blue gray. 


I used craft foam for all of the armor pieces and used double stick Velcro to attach them to the flight suit. You can see here all of the crazy stuff I had out and was working on... our house looked like my craft shed threw up all over everything!


The extensions I used to make the Wookie braids that Boba Fett wears on his shoulder, and I found some great faux leather for the utility belt and pouches. 

The jet pack was probably the hardest thing to figure out, and also the part that I would have done a lot more to if I would have had more time. There are some great tutorials out there, and I probably read every single one, but they fall into two categories - either very accurate and incredibly time consuming, or very simplistic and wouldn't satisfy The Small Mister's need for recognizability (that's a great new made up word right there!). 

Here is the Boba Fett costume jet pack in progress!



It is amazing what you can do with some cardboard, an old shipping tube, and a hot glue gun! 


I started on two different helmets, but wasn't happy with them, and as luck had it, my brother in law had just purchased a Boba Fett helmet, and was happy to let The Small Mister wear it. :) He was very excited!

After this Halloween, I asked him what he wanted to be next year and he said, "Boba Fett!" lol! I convinced him to pick someone new for next year, and I believe the winner is: 


I guess I should start earlier... and get practicing my helmet making skills!


No comments:

Post a Comment